Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Great Reader Feedback

I have had some good comments recently from a reader that wants me to categorize my thinking and observations more along the lines of longer term v. shorter term. He takes a much longer term approach to investing and although he does believe in stock market cycles and the significance of following the strong sectors - he is much more interested in the money to be made from a secular move in a certain area of the market over many years - re: 1-5+. Good examples would be technology/internet during the 1990s, commodities (so far) through the 2000s, and what the future may bring. He is even ok with more specific recommendations on individual stocks that might be good to dollar cost average into and accumulate over a longer period of time.

I had my genesis as a value investor and understand that mantra of thinking well. It is only recently that I morphed into a greedy neurotic day trader - ;) - so I think I understand that point all too well. I also have some interesting ideas along those lines - and over the coming months may be able to bring some special analysis on the following sectors: drugs(both legal analysis re: mass tort litigation and also revenue analysis - re: medicare prescription drug act. and a compare/contrast with tobacco industry - with special focus on the dividends), chemicals, energy (of course), metals, financials (short side - of course).

I will also stick with some individual stock picks as well. I am getting more and more sucked in re: this Chinese Net stock (NCTY) and am still planning on getting my position sometime over the coming 10 days prior to earnings announcement. I still think I will get a better price - ;( - maybe quite naively - but I will be moving there. I have posted significant analysis in the past - and I am basing this decision on both a psychological side - apparent reasonable prices not reflecting much optimism of company's prospects, as well as good operating performance as World of Warcraft appears to be an enormous hit in China, and the company is delivering - continuing to add server capacity over the previous months.

Portfolio was up negligebly today - but I am feeling a bit stronger in my convictions and we will have to see what tomorrow brings. ;)

Regards,

BG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home